In 1880, there were thirteen neat schoolhouses in the township, giving employment during thirty-six weeks in the year to thirteen efficient teachers, while the whole amount of school property is valued at $22,000. The amount of funds on hand September 1, 1879, was $2,337.98. The number of pupils enrolled that year was 669. The number of different teachers employed during the year was 23. The average wages - gentlemen $38.97; ladies, $24.95. (From History of Miami County - 1880).
In February 1921 the school board voted to place a levy on the ballot to consolidate the Pleasant Hill and Newton Township schools. The levy passed and construction began on a new school in the fall of 1922.
The building contained 51 rooms, a gymnasium, an auditorium and a cafeteria. The cost of construction was $190,000. Many furnishings were brought from the one room school houses.
On Monday Oct 8, 1923 school began in the new Newton High School. The enrollment was 616 pupils. Eighteen buses were used to transport most of the pupils from the rural area.
In November of 1923 a 3-mill levy was placed on the ballot to generate operating money to run the school. The levy was soundly defeated and the school closed it's doors on February 8, 1924 due to lack of funds. In March, the Miami County Board of Education passed a resolution that they would collect the 3 mills from Newton Township residents. The school reopened on March 18 and the seniors were able to graduate on time in 1924!